We planned a lot to spend a cool weekend in Maithan during our new Year 2012 trip . This is a beautiful place to spend your weekend, enjoy vast water reservoir and boating camp ,spend hours to mingle with nature and small hillocks . We planned to stay at best place in Maithan , called Majumdar Niwas ( DVC Guest house on a beautiful island ) . It’s more than any 5 star luxury hotel.
Our Journey to Maithan :
It’s about 230KM drive from Kolkata to reach Maithan . We started in morning on 2nd January 2012 . It was a very rainy day . I was driving slowly along the NH-2 . Normally it takes about 4 hours drive from Kolkata . We have taken tea break at Bardwan . Then drove along the National Highway 2 and passed through Panaghar ( 135 Km ) , Durgapur , Asonsol . After Asonsol we have taken right turn from NH 2 toward Kalyaneswari Mandir and finally reached Maithan’s Majumder Niwas .
If you come by rail, then better to get down at Asonsol Junction. You can avail plenty of bus services and private vehicles to reach Maithan .
Our staying at Maithan :
Best place to stay at Maithan is Majumdar Niwas , it has to be booked through DVC . It’s located on the top of an island and connected to mainland by Foot Bridge. It’s more than any star hotel . If you get a chance to stay here , I feel you get the real charm of Maithan . One side of the guest house , you get the glimpse of large stretch of reservoir and lake , other sides are hillocks , complete view of Jhankhand , DVC dam . Views are Awesome! You can only book this place through DVC office .Always long queue for this place . You can relish very tasty food and spend time in beautiful island garden. You can view a tortoise island from here.
Other places to stay here are small hotels near DVC Maithan , more near Kalyaneswari Mandir . We also found Bengal Tourist lodge that has beautiful views of lake. But during rush hours, it’s better to book in advance.
Best time to visit here between December to February. (this time Dam lock gates are closed ) and next best timing is between July –August . You can see the rains and Dam, but better to avoid this rainy season.
What to see in Maitian ?
1. Maithan Dam : It’s man made concrete dam build over river Barakar , It has 12 gates ( flood control ) . You can walk along the Dam , sit aside to see the views of vast reservoir . One end of the dam is Jharkhand and other end is west Bengal. Car, buses are using the road over the Dam . You are not allowed to stop your car on Dam. So parked it outside dam area, and then make a walk along it. While walking along the dam towards Jharkhand, Look straight down left to see the deer park . There are 200 deer roaming around in the park. You can see from the top of the dam, but entry is restricted. Move farther ahead along the dam, you entered the Jharkhand and then enter the DVC colony. This is full fledge DVC offices, departments, colony etc . If you have a private vehicle , then make a round trip along the roads to see old schools , building , guest houses etc . Don’t forget to stop near post office more and sip tasty Cappuccino (Jharkhand tea), very tasty .
2. Kalyaneswari Temple: You can see the Kalyaneswari Temple en route to Maithan Dam . Maa idol is very active ( in Bengali – we call Jagarata Devi ) . If you stay nearby hotel , we can reach by walking . You may have face heavy rush on Tuesday and Saturday. If you stay near Dam area, then you can go there by your car or Bus or auto . We visited the temple at noon , so there was no rush . When finally entered main temple, inside was dark, only candles were there, pujari was chanting mantra for puja . We paid Rs. 50 to pujari for puja . You can take flowers and sweet as a puja dhali from nearby shop.
Best items of this place to taste here are Kachuri and peda sweet . We take some packets of peda for home. We spent 30 min there and returned back. Devi darsan was really very enriching and enjoying deep peace (maha santi ) . But if you like to enjoy the tranquility of temple, then avoid rush hours and enjoy the blessing of god and maha santi ( peace ) during off peak hours .
3. Chhath puja Ghat : If you at Majumder Niwas , then you can see this place far off , on the other side of the dam . It’s located in Jharkhand. There is a helipad near to it. This place it very close to Gangna Colony (located inside the DVC area) . Every year , during Chhath puja, there is big fair hosted every year . People from different parts of Bengal and Jharkhand come here to celebrate this festival . You can directly reach the dam water and even have bath here. Road goes to water. We drove our car to kiss the water of dam. I parked the car and sit and roamed around. See the beauty of chain of island in the water and distant view of Bengal. Good time to visit during evening time .
4. Boating: This is really awesome. You can have short trip (Rs. 20 per head) . You have speed boating also there. So you spend time in boating with your family .
5. Boating to Sobuj Deep ( Green Island ) . You can book a boat for Rs. 300 to reach to Sobuj island. Spend time over there .Recently we have seen a small tea stall there on the island . This is 2-3 hours trip. Good for a small ride and please short stay on the island . You can get a 360 degree view of Dam . Really awesome!
6. Suleman Park : Very less known park . This is private park and they have taken lease from DVC . In winter, it’s worth to go there. You can meet caretaker cum CEO Mr. Suleman welcoming you . Great place to have a family picnic. From DVC Dam , it’s located 6 Km off and located on the other side of the hills . You have to drive along the dam, muddy village, upslope of hills to reach the location. I reached there by my car. But, you can reach there by private vehicle only. From this park you see the Green Island very close. We spend some time in the park and met Mr. Seleman also. This is really very peaceful place.
7. Jharkhand Sports complex: I feel that place is the BEST place in Maithan . If you love nature , peaceful existence of dam , river , hills .Then this is the right place . You can listen the whisper of breeze, hills and distant sport complex. This sport complex now looks deserted. So no rush all here. Even during top picnic season, I have not found any picnic party here. From Majumder Niwas , you can see the sport complex on the other side of the reservoir . This place is in Jharkhand. You must have car or private vehicle to access this place. We were sitting under the tree, running across the muddy road, taking to the nature .This is very quiet place . We climbed up the small hillocks just behind sport complex. We collected may marble stones there. We only saw hill tops all around and small bushes, tress welcoming us there. We could the distant view of TATA thermal power station from the top of the hillock. I feel you must go there. Very nice place. We spend our whole evening there. My daughters Ankita and Richita were running along the hilly path, colleting marble stones. We enjoyed this place to fullest extent.
8. DVC Power Plant: We have got special pass to visit the power plant of DVC. This is top restricted place. We enjoyed the place lot. Being a responsible citizen, I respect the Indian Government policy and security. I should not discuss in detail about the place. I am not discussing the place and journey. But this is really the life long experience.
9. Majumdar Niwas : This is itself a important place to visit and stay . The best plance to stay in DVC maithan . We have stayed here for 2 days. It’s a island, views are awesome! Foods are very delicious. ( if you are Bengali , then full satisfaction ) . You need to book this place through DVC . Heavy rush for all the season. But if you go by your own car . Then you have to park it outside the Dam ( it’s risky also ) . We have managed to keep our car parked in DVC colony during night time.
10 . Tortoise Island: My daughter Richita discovered this. During our stay on the island guest house , we woke up in the morning and just got ready for sightseeing . Outside was cloudy. We were sipping tea at the guest house. My daughter came and told me with great excitement that she had found a big tortoise in the reservoir. We came out and found a splendid view island in the form of tortoise. Outside weather was cloudy. So distant view of island looks like a big tortoise . I feel this is a big discovery of my little daughter ( just to encourage my daughter ) . I have uploaded picture of that island. The view of this island was really awesome!
We have enjoyed the place very much. Walking along the bridge, spending time at the garden inside the Majumdar Niwas was priceless. If you have good Data card (Tata Photon , or GPRS ) connectivity is very good there on the island hotel . So we spend cool evening spending time on the island hotel ( Majumdar Niwas ) and updating our social media pages . Yes, we have got tasty tea , served on my tea table , making every moment with full of fun and excitement . This was really a complete holiday tour at Maithan . We have got excellent support and hospitality of DVC guest house staff. Our journey becomes memorable because of excellent support and help from my friends in DVC.
After 2 days stay , we finally set out for home , carrying those memories of Dam , river , parks , island guest house . We plan to visit this place again in future!